14 July 2009

Cloak Finished!

It is done, or nearly done.

I ended up not putting on the shoulder cape at all. I also hand stitched black twill tape around the front edge to prevent it from unraveling. I may also add it around the bottom if it looks like it needs it.

The clasp is inaccurate for the time, it was meant to be for a sweater, but I can't find any ribbons in town and needed this done to wear next week to a special event. So I added the clasp. Since there is so much that is inaccurate with this cloak and since the clasp looks good I may just leave it.

It does appear to be very warm and I will be interested to see if it works as a winter coat this coming year.

6 comments:

  1. Holy Cow OOgie! That is beautiful! My girlfriend would die for something like! Too bad I am allergic to wool or I would want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing! Historically accurate or not, it definitely has a huge awesome factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Oogie! Don't worry about the clasp, you can do ribbons next time. The only trouble I've ever noticed with a cape is that it's great until you actually have to reach outside the cape to use your hands - then you let out the nice warm air. I like ruana's, sort of like a long, narrow poncho, often with a hood. The hood is good for keeping your shoulders and neck warm even if you don't put it over your head.

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wore it down to the brewery tasting room yesterday. Black heavy wool in 90 degree heat is a bit much, but I did enjoy showing it off to a couple other folks who appreciate the work that went into it. One guy makes chain maille, he thought it was really cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Brian, almost nobody who says they are allergic to wool really is. What they are usually allergic to are all the chemicals and processing done to modern wool, or they are very sensitive to the prickle factor of coarser wools. To test if you are really allergic, get some raw fleece, wash it carefully in the same shampoo you use on your hair and put a small lock in your shorts or somewhere where it will contact your skin. The female location is stuff a piece in your bra, not sure how to translate that for males. But if you do not have any reaction to that then it's not the wool you are allergic too. Try several different breeds of sheep, some are coarser than others.

    If you find you are not really allergic to the wool you can usually carefully hand wash in very hot water anything wool to remove much of the processing chemicals and avoid dry cleaning it and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete